Lesson: Matthew 8:23-34; Time: 28 A.D.; Place of Action: The Sea of Galilee and the region of the Gergesenes
Golden Text: “But the men marvelled, saying, What manner of man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey him!” (Matthew 8:27).
New International Version (NIV)
I. JESUS DEMONSTRATES HIS AUTHORITY OVER THE SEA (Matthew 8:23-27)
23. Then he got into the boat and his disciples followed him.
24. Suddenly a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping.
25. The disciples went and woke him, saying, “Lord, save us! We’re going to drown!”
26. He replied, “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?”Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.
27. The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”
II. JESUS DEMONSTRATES HIS AUTHORITY OVER SATAN (Matthew 8:28-34)
28. When he arrived at the other side in the region of the Gadarenes, two demon-possessed men coming from the tombs met him. They were so violent that no one could pass that way.
29. “What do you want with us, Son of God?” they shouted. “Have you come here to torture us before the appointed time?”
30. Some distance from them a large herd of pigs was feeding.
31. The demons begged Jesus, “If you drive us out, send us into the herd of pigs.”
32. He said to them, “Go!”So they came out and went into the pigs, and the whole herd rushed down the steep bank into the lake and died in the water.
33. Those tending the pigs ran off, went into the town and reported all this, including what had happened to the demon-possessed men.
34. Then the whole town went out to meet Jesus. And when they saw him, they pleaded with him to leave their region.
PRACTICAL POINTS FOR DISCUSSION:
1. Having faith in Jesus as Lord and Savior does not mean we won’t experience any storms; but it does give us peace and confidence in the midst of the storm (Matthew 8:23-24).
2. When we know that Jesus is always with us, we will have no reason to be afraid (Matthew 8:25-27).
3. Even demons know who Jesus is and are subject to His power and authority. Christ stayed busy, we should also keep ourselves occupied doing God's work (Matthew 8:28-29).
4. As the Creator, Jesus is sovereign and can do whatever He wants with whoever He wants (Matthew 8:30-32).
5. Unsaved people don’t understand God’s love and grace; therefore, being foolish they reject Him. The people were upset that they lost their livelihood, but had they had faith Jesus would have made a way to provide for them. (Matthew 8:33-34; Luke 4:28-29).
***Union Gospel Press Sunday School Curriculum, The Bible Expositor and Illuminator***
Bible Studies are led every Wednesday through the Spring and Fall months at 7:oop.m.